After a school year like no other, many Greater Lafayette students are officially on summer break, and they’re likely itching to get out of the house more than ever. As we continue to climb out of the pandemic and make a return to normal, you’re likely filling in your family’s schedule and looking for activities to do over the next couple of months.
If that’s the case, we’ve gathered some family friendly suggestions and recommendations bound to keep the entire family entertained and active this summer!
First Off, Keep An Eye Out Upcoming Events
As events continue popping up around Greater Lafayette, some of best resources for keeping tabs on what’s going on are:
– Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette (www.homeofpurdue.com)
– Visit Indiana (www.visitindiana.com)
– Following local entities on social media such as the cities of Lafayette and West Lafayette, Lafayette Parks, West Lafayette Parks, and The Russell Company!
To help kickstart your search, we’ve compiled a list of some of the many FREE family-friendly events taking place around the community in the coming weeks:
- Kids’ Fishing Day (Saturday, June 19th, 9am – 12pm, Munger Park) – This catch and release event is free and open to all children ages 3-14 years old. All bait and equipment are provided as well as lunch. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Lafayette Aviator’s Street Festival (Saturday, June 19th, 2pm-6pm, 24th Street between Wallace and Hines) – Local food vendors, carnival games, team autographs, music, and so much more will take place during this event leading up to the Aviators game!
- Stars And Stripes Celebration (Sunday, July 4th, 7pm-11pm, Downtown Lafayette) – The Lafayette Citizens will perform a concert followed by fireworks at dusk.
- Wabash Riverfest (Saturday, July 10th, 9am-6pm, 100 Tapawingo Drive, West Lafayette) – This year’s event will consist of both virtual and in-person events including a rock wall and 5K.
- Tippecanoe County 4-H Fair (Saturday, July 17th – Saturday, July 24th, 8am-11:45pm, 1010 Teal Road, Lafayette) – It’s everything you could want and more including displays, competitions, carnival rides, and food.
Also, TRC gathers a list of events going on in and around the community every weekend. Give our pages a follow on Facebook and Instagram and keep an eye out for a list of local events posted each Friday!
Consider Taking Part In Volunteer Opportunities
Are you looking to teach your children how they can pay it forward right here in their own community? Volunteering is a great way to do so! There are plenty of ways to take it upon yourself to help make a positive impact right here in Greater Lafayette.
- Workreation Program – Hosted by Lafayette Parks and Recreation for children ages 7 to 17, “Workreation” is a program where in exchange for light maintenance and cleaning in the parks for one hour, kids will receive a “Kids Can Pass” which will admit them into any of the three aquatics facilities for the day. The program runs now through Friday, July 31. Registration forms can be found on www.lafayetteparks.org or can be picked up in the Lafayette Parks Administrative office.
- Help Clean Up Your Neighborhood – It’s as simple as that! Grab some trash bags, gloves, and a can-do attitude! You can even take it one step further and organize a neighborhood cleanup day and invite fellow neighbors to chip in.
- Reach Out To Local Non-Profits, Charities, And Other Impactful Entities For Volunteer Opportunities – Greater Lafayette is home to many entities who serve various causes, making it their mission to help better the community we live in. Take it upon yourself to pick up the phone or send a message to see if they could use any help. For a list of some of Greater Lafayette’s impactful entities, visit https://russellteam.com/greater-lafayette-entities-making-a-positive-impact-on-the-community/
Visit A Local Swimming Pool
Who doesn’t love to take a refreshing dip in a swimming pool on a toasty summer day? Lucky for you, Greater Lafayette has several public swimming pools for you to enjoy! For a list of outdoor swimming pools in Greater Lafayette, check out TRC’s blog post at https://russellteam.com/cool-off-in-one-of-these-greater-lafayette-swimming-pools/
Visit A Local Attraction
It shouldn’t be too difficult to find an attraction right here in Greater Lafayette that the entire family can enjoy. Whether it’s a day at Columbian Park Zoo or a trip to Prophetstown State Park, there’s something for everyone to enjoy! For a list of some of the many Greater Lafayette attractions, visit https://www.homeofpurdue.com/things-to-do/
Take A Day Trip
Of course, there’s plenty of fun things to do right here in Greater Lafayette, but who doesn’t enjoy exploring new places? Whether you’re heading down to Indianapolis for the day or just the next county over, there’s so much to do and explore.
For a list of day trip ideas within an hour of Greater Lafayette, check out the following TRC blogs:
Planning A Day Trip To Indianapolis: https://russellteam.com/planning-a-day-trip-to-indianapolis-check-out-some-of-these-family-friendly-attractions-and-places-to-grab-a-bite/
Fun Places To Explore Within 50 Miles Of Greater Lafayette (Part 1): https://russellteam.com/fun-places-to-explore-within-50-miles-of-greater-lafayette-part-1/
Fun Places To Explore Within 50 Miles Of Greater Lafayette (Part 2): https://russellteam.com/fun-places-to-explore-within-50-miles-of-greater-lafayette-part-2/
Visit A Local Park
Can’t get enough of the great outdoors? Greater Lafayette doesn’t skimp when it comes to local parks that all offer their very own amenities. For a list of some of Greater Lafayette parks, check out the following links:
TRC’s Guide To Lafayette Parks: https://russellteam.com/trcs-guide-to-lafayette-parks/
TRC’s Guide To West Lafayette Parks: https://russellteam.com/trcs-guide-to-west-lafayette-parks/
Enjoy Some Ice Cream!
Have a craving for a sweet treat? Check out one of Greater Lafayette’s ice cream establishments! Whether you try a new place each week throughout the summer or come to love one establishment, indulge yourself! For a list of some of the best ice cream places around Greater Lafayette, visit, https://russellteam.com/best-places-to-get-ice-cream-around-greater-lafayette/